Many people dream of having a swimming pool in their backyard. Particularly, in the summertime, a swimming pool allows for fun activities and events in the comfort of your home. It can also be beneficial to one’s lifestyle in terms of relaxation, physical activity, entertainment, and a gathering place for children.
The fun excursions that a swimming pool enables to provide can be seen as an upgrade for many households. However, there are also many factors that come into play in making a swimming pool a profitable addition to your property.
Will a swimming pool increase the monetary value of your property? Here are some things you can do before installing a swimming pool at your house:
Get professional advice
Before you proceed in looking for swimming pool contractors to install a pool in your backyard, consider talking to a real estate agent about the potential increase to your property’s value. In general, a swimming pool will add to the value of a property. However, that doesn’t entirely mean it’s cost-effective. A real estate agent will help you determine whether or not it’s ideal to add a pool to your house depending on:
- Cost of building: How much are you going to spend on this installment? Will you be gaining more value to your property when your expenses are subtracted? If the cost of building the swimming pool exceeds the threshold of the return on investment, then, it might not be a good move to install one.
- Demand in the area: If most people looking for properties around your neighborhood aren’t necessarily looking for a house with a swimming pool, they’ll most likely cross you off their list. That makes it more difficult to sell the property. You could even find yourself lowering the initial price significantly when you decide to sell it.
- Weather conditions: Depending on which state you’re in, the usual weather can either add to the value of the pool or render it basically unusable. If rainy weather is common where the property is located, the chances are high that people won’t be in search of a home with a pool in it. On the other hand, if it’s often sunny and the heatwave is usually strong, then you’re likely to sell the property at a higher price.
Consider the pool design
The type of pool you’ll add will affect the overall value of your property:
- Above-ground pool: This vinyl-lined pool design is usually the cheapest option, starting at three thousand dollars. Since it’s fairly cheap, it’s also unlikely to add any value to your property.
- In-ground pool: This type of swimming pool can cost anywhere from $30,000 to $80,000. Consequently, it’s highly likely to add a significant amount to your property’s selling price.
If you’re only interested in installing a decent swimming pool for your own enjoyment, then consider getting the above-ground design. It is a cheap option that will function similarly to any kind of swimming pool, save from the details and the impact on your home’s aesthetics. However, if you’re planning to sell your property in the near future, installing an in-ground pool is a good investment to increase the house’s value.
We are pool builders in Atlanta, Georgia. If you’re looking to add a pool to your home, get in touch with us today and schedule a consultation.